In this issue of Insights, ISD takes a deeper look at the rapidly evolving online Salafi ecosystem, uncovers the re-emergence of a pro-Russian propaganda outlet on Facebook, and finds that TikTok is failing to tag almost 60% of COVID-19 vaccine-related content, while YouTube is failing to remove antivaxx misinformation more broadly. Also in this newsletter:
- Our new report by the Strong Cities Network maps the online extremism space in Slovakia
- The Threat of Conspiratorial COVID-Sceptic Extremism in Australia and NZ
- Get involved with: Youth Programming, an opportunity with Be Internet Citizens
- Our Head of Political Integrity and Digital Communication, Jiore Craig, joined global thought-leaders for the Global Progress 2021 Summit in Rome.
- SCN is hosting two virtual events in November and December: Africa Summit and the inaugural South Asia Summit
ISD in the Media:
- ISD’s Ciáran O’Connor spoke to NBC News about the latest viral “vaccine detox” theories.
- Our COP26 War Room monitoring unit is profiled in articles by Cities Today, NPR and The Guardian.
- Jennie King, who led our ‘War Room’ efforts in Glasgow, spoke with NPR about the weaponisation of climate change narratives by climate sceptic actors.
- Julia Ebner spoke to Refinery 29 about the urgency in recognising misogyny as a hate crime in the UK.