Be Internet Citizens: Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant
Scope of work
In light of the new materials, ISD is seeking a consultant to work with the Be Internet Citizens team on developing our monitoring and evaluation capabilities, supporting upcoming activities funded by YouTube’s EMEA Marketing team.
As we begin roll-out among the teaching community, the Be Internet Citizens team need to measure the extent of attitudinal and behavioural change among participating students (and to a lesser extent the practitioners delivering content). We are also keen to push the boundaries of M&E efforts to date in the Media and Digital Literacy field, moving beyond pre- and post-surveying to more creative methods – after 4+ years of frontline work, we acknowledge the limitations of static self-reporting and hope to test/develop new models which can be shared beyond BIC. Such a process must be grounded in a robust Theory of Change and should support wider discussions underway with key partners including DfE, DCMS, Ofcom and EU counterparts (e.g. the European Digital Media Observatory), for whom M&E is a clear priority in the coming years.
The consultant will provide the following services:
- Conduct a review of the existing Be Internet Citizens M&E framework relating to outcome-level indicators;
- Assist in the creation of an evidenced-based Theory of Change for BIC, including surfacing mental models of thinking and assumptions that underpin our programme;
- Advise on the development of an accompanying set of standard indicators for the upcoming evaluation phase of the project;
- Advise on the development of qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methods to understand: the magnitude of change; how and why change has or has not occurred; and the extent of improved project performance;
- Data collection is planned with the following project beneficiaries:
- Secondary school students aged 13+
- Trained teachers who deliver the curriculum to their students;
- Co-produce a process and timeline for qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and evaluation of BIC in 2021, including a budget estimate for M&E for ISD to submit to the project donor.
Though the majority of work will be conducted remotely, the consultant may be expected to attend occasional meetings at ISD’s office during the framework design stage, COVID-restrictions permitting.
The consultant will report into ISD’s Be Internet Citizens Project Manager, with oversight from a Senior Policy Manager. They will be supported by the Project Manager and Associate in executing their deliverables.
It is anticipated that the consultant will produce all of the deliverables outlined below within a timeframe of 3 to 5 days’ work maximum over the period April 2021 to mid-May 2021 (where a day = 8 hours).
Immediate start dates are preferred, dependent on availability, and the latest possible start date is Monday 26th April.
The successful candidate will be a collaborative and solutions-focused professional with the ability to work to tight deadlines, delegate responsibilities clearly, and oversee the production of high quality outputs. We welcome applications from consultants who meet the following criteria:
- Experience at senior levels designing and delivering M&E capabilities and tools for educational and/or charitable programmes;
- Expertise on the development of diagrammatic and narrative Theories of Change for educational initiatives;
- Extensive experience in conducting evaluations for a variety of project types;
- Highly organised with the ability to be flexible, multi-task and respond proactively;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- An understanding of and commitment to the core mission of ISD and Be Internet Citizens;
- Intercultural and interpersonal awareness.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis;
- Experience developing and delivering M&E systems, tools and training for digital citizenship education, media literacy, online safety, and/or or P/CVE programmes (or related fields);
- Knowledge of the UK secondary school curriculum;
- Experience in using innovative or complex data collection and analysis methods for assessing behavioural change
To apply, please submit:
- A CV and a brief (500 to 1000-word max) proposed methodology for meeting the deliverables outlined above.
Proposals must be submitted via email to [email protected] by 11:59pm GMT on Monday 12 April .
Subject of the email must be ‘Be Internet Citizens M&E consultancy role’.
ISD reserves the right to interview and appoint applicants prior to the closing date of this vacancy.
ISD Guiding principles